Safe Transportation for Migrant Workers

Worker transportation is directly tied to the family’s income, housing, stability and work life. To hand harvest Michigan’s specialty crops, workers usually travel to their work sites across county lines, U.S. states, and/or from other countries. They may find themselves bussed in groups, captive to their employer, in company vehicles or vans, or in carpool arrangements.

Auto accidents are a leading cause of death among workers, and history has shown us that farmworkers die at the hands of unlicensed, dangerous, and unfit vehicles and drivers. Families who own their own vehicle may find difficulty getting a driver’s license, obtaining affordable auto insurance, paying for vehicle repairs, or finding fair terms in vehicle purchases. Migrant Legal Aid helps workers with these challenges, to reduce their vulnerabilities and dependence on unsafe transportation.

Migrant Legal Aid also educates workers on the rights and responsibilities of Michigan’s rules of the road.

MI Driver’s License Bill: What Undocumented Farmworkers Need to Know

If you’re undocumented, you’re not a “resident” and not required to have a Michigan driver’s license. 

You can drive using a license from many countries, including:

If your home country’s license is not in English, you need it translated into English with your photo. 

Documented people from other countries (not on the list above) can now drive. 

You can use an International Driving Permit if your country recognizes them; or you can use a document that has your photo, is translated into English, and substantially corresponds to an International Driving Permit.

Resources for Migrants driving in Michigan

Need Help? Contact Migrant Legal Aid

If you or someone you know has legal issues, questions, or concerns regarding farmworker rights, please don’t hesitate to contact Migrant Legal Aid for help.

Traducción »